There are a lot of versions of Chocolate Chip Cookies. Mine started with the original Tollhouse recipe that got changed by a mistake, and then later brought in some ideas from other recipes.
- 350 grams flour (2.25+ cups)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tbs Corn Starch
- 225 grams Butter (1 cup) softened
- 200 grams granulated sugar (1 cup)
- 250 grams packed brown sugar (1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 400 grams Chocolate (whatever type you want) Coarsely Chopped
- 1 cup chopped nuts Optional
Preheat oven to 180° C or 350° F
COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt and corn starch in small bowl.
Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Gradually beat in flour mixture.
Stir in morsels and nuts.
I've made this recipe with Crisco shortening and double-layer/insulated cookie sheets and it worked fine. But when I switch to butter they spread out more, and were much thinner. After a tip to try single layer, dark backing sheet or pan, they went back to normal - the dark pan transferred the heat quicker so that they set properly.
In a hurry?
1. Drop by rounded tablespoon 2-3 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
Want a better result? Are your cookies spreading out too much?
1. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto an ungreased baking sheet. Now pick up each one and roll it into a nice ball - doesn't have to be perfect.
2. Now place into the refrigerator for about 2 hours so they are all a consistent temperature.
3. When 2 or more hours have passed (or you loose your patience), transfer from the refrigerator to new baking sheets and bake at normal temperature and length of time.
4. You can also freeze the balls in a container or ziploc bag and take them out when you want to use them.
BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
I like preparing a batch at Christmas and then just baking a dozen at a time together with other variations so there are always fresh cookies.
A variation I haven't tried:
PAN COOKIE VARIATION: Preheat oven to 350° F/180° C. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Prepare dough as above. Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack. Makes 4 dozen bars.